We speak funny, I get it. I also love it and would never trade it. It is a little piece of home that will stay with us Jerz kids forever (hopefully) and keep the mid-westerners guessing at what we’re getting’ at. Jeet yet? No, jew? Exactly.
What bad habits am I aware of? Let’s see:
- Wauder. Not water. Try saying this out loud; it’s kind of fun.
- A “sub” is a food.
- AC – Atlantic City. Not air conditioning.
- We have a tendency to speak quickly and slur our words together. We understand each other and we don’t have time for 1645312 syllables.
- We respond before you’re finished speaking. Again, no time…just get on with it.
- If you’re creepin’ it’s not good.
- If you’re busted, also not good.
- If you’re going to karma, it’s not good-girl heaven…believe me.
- P-funks. Google it.
Being from New Jersey is a great accomplishment in life. I would never want to be anywhere else. My bad habits aside, living in East Coast time makes me whole and happy, and I watch my language when I need to.
I would like to make a serious call-out to this list that I have seen many, many times in my lifetime and will also forever remain true: You Know You’re From Jersey When…